In January 2018, Region Legal Service Office Northwest (RLSO NW) said goodbye to Building 243, which served as the home for the Branch Office at Naval Air Station Whidbey Island (NASWI) for over three decades. Building 243 at NASWI was built in 1945 to serve as a multi-use structure. Throughout its lifespan, the building hosted a number of residents and served numerous functions. According to records dating back to 1958, the building was once called the “Infirmary” and used as a medical facility and pharmacy. From 1961 to 1969, portions of the building were also used as a family clinic, photo lab, and for auxiliary attack training.
By 1984, the building was known as the Legal Services Facility. It most recently served as host to RLSO NW Command Services and Legal Assistance Departments. On 10 January 2018, Building 243 closed its doors and RLSO NW Branch Office NASWI officially relocated to Building 2739. The relocation involved a multi-million dollar construction project, which included renovated office spaces for RLSO NW, Defense Service Office West, Detachment Bremerton, and a new courtroom employing Microsoft Hub technology and significantly improved security systems. In the summer of 2018, Building 243 will be demolished and construction will begin on a 29,000 square foot facility to support two Mission Control Stations for remotely piloted aircraft. The new facility will be home to VUP-11, the west coast's first Unmanned Patrol squadron.
RLSO NW provides prosecution, command services, and court-reporting support to Navy and Marine Corps commands and legal assistance to active duty, family members, and retirees located within its assigned geographic area (currently encompassing 11 states -- Alaska, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa, and Nebraska).